Tuesday, November 07, 2006

BEATING THE IDEA THIEF TO DEATH WITH HIS OWN SHOES THEN TAKING A WHILE TO CAREFULLY REMOVE THE EVIDENCE WITHOUT BURNING YOUR FINGER TIPS OFF OR SUFFOCATING ON THE FUMES OF INDUSTRIAL STRENGTH CLENSERS...Or just beating the idea thieves

First of all there are no "Idea thieves." There a myth. Everyone has access to the same movies, music and TV shows and books where a lot of pieces of ideas come from. But none of those people is you. So they'll never be exactly the same. You have a different life and experiences so chances are it will never be exactly the same just similar. But sometimes it can be enough.

I freaked the other day after my friend at the BBC told me they were commissioning a series with a slightly similar premise to my current script with a big name writer. I was suddenly very angry, 3 plus months of research, and prewriting and plotting all in the garbage. I figured if it wasn't that close to my premise and it was good at the very least I probably couldn't try and sell it for a year. Turns out I was wrong. While slightly similar my idea it wasn't close to being a threat to it. There was still a chance for my script not to be compared as similar as a "rip-off to the work of that other bloke" and after thinking a while I suddenly realised even if it was a smash and similar to my idea I could always rewrite it slightly and change it over or wait a while and pitch it once the hype had cleared.

I know this is all circumstantial as my script isn't being made and nor have I ever have one made and theres no guarantee this one will be but thats the point. You'll always be looking for reasons to stop writing.The most important thing to realise is that isn't a reason to stop writing, nothing save for family, friends and perhaps your health. Noone is you and noone has the same ideas and there's no reason to stop writing.

IN MY DVD PLAYER: Battlestar Galactica Season 2.5 (Ronald D. Moore is God of TV)
WHERE I AM IN MY SCRIPT: Making sure it isn't burnt too badly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home